Monday, March 3, 2008

Attack of the Monster Cereal

I didn't mention it earlier but I made rice crispy treats on Saturday morning. I had leftover crispy cereal (not Rice Krispies, I bought the generic version) from the white bark balls I made last month. Crispy rice cereal only comes in luggage-size boxes. The box was so big I couldn't fit it in any of my kitchen cupboards and had to put on top of the filing cabinet in the laundry room.

I haven't made them in eons and now I remember why. The bag of marshmallows instructions used the microwave but I wanted to do it on the stovetop and after a half hour the effing marshmallows still weren't melted so I had to transfer to the microwave.

Once melted, I scraped the world's stickiest substance into a giant bowl with the cereal and tried to mix it together. I wasn't getting far with my spoon and since I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty so I plunged them in which didn't seem to accomplish anything except to spread the world's stickiest substance all over my hands. Then the cereal stuck to my hands and would not come off and the more I tried to scrape it off, the more that stuck to me until I had these giant marshmallow-cereal gloves on my hands. I knew that on some level this was funny and we should probably get photos except I was not humored in the least and sort-of panicked (ah! I'm going to die stuck in a giant web of marshmallow and cereal) and super irritated because my quick little project to get rid of my barrel of cereal was resulting in a mess and frustration.

Some warm sudsy water and my hands were clean. I buttered some aluminum foil and mashed the mixture into the buttered pan and let them cool and everybody loved them. I brought the leftovers for the lunchroom.

Meanwhile, I haven't slept through the night for 6 straight nights and just out of curiosity I checked and last March I had doodoo sleep as well so I guess it really is a seasonal thing, not that I'm any less sleepy for the realization.

No comments: